Fostering a child is a good idea, especially if you have space in your family. You can provide a safe space for a child without a home and you can actually grow your family. Well, if you are looking to foster a child, you need to find a fostering agency to help you. Here’s what to look for in the best fostering agency.
1. Are They Responsive?
As a foster parent, you need to contact the foster agency a few times. If they respond quickly and provide the much-needed support at this time, they are the best choice for you. Of course, you need to assess how they will respond before you ask for their services.
Make a call to their offices and ascertain whether or not they respond fast enough. If you are stuck in voicemail and they take a long time before getting back to you then they are not the right choice for your needs, especially during an emergency.
2. Can They Provide Individual Attention?
As much as fostering agencies are handling other families besides yours, they also need to provide individual attention. For instance, they need to invite you into a professional meeting with a counsellor where you can ask all the questions you might have on your mind regarding the fostering process.
Such individual attention will come in handy down the road, especially when issues come up. They will be ready to offer the individual help you need for your problems without any hassles.
3. A Full Tour Of The Fostering Agency
If you have been looking for the best foster agencies online, you also need to make a first visit to their offices. Yes, they might look great online but that might be misleading. Therefore, you need to take a personal tour of the organisation. Here are a few things to note during your tour.
• Do they feel warm and inviting?
• What services do they offer?
• How many people actually work there?
• Is there adequate staff to handle all the families looking to foster children?
• Are there support groups for any issues that might come up during the fostering process?
• Do they have a clean and neat organisation?
• How does the corporate culture feel as an outsider?
• Are there a lot of messy offices and closed doors?
• Do you have access to the management or are they off limits?
• Are people in there genuinely happy to be employed there?
• Do you feel welcome?
By checking for all these things, you will have an idea of how the organisation really works and whether or not they are the right fostering agency for your needs.
4. A Highly Supportive Community
Before, during and after the fostering process, a good foster agency should offer any necessary assistance and encouragement. For instance, they should have home supervisors who can guide you through the whole process. Also, the best foster agency should have opportunities where foster parents can get together, get advice and share their experiences effortlessly.
Use these tips to find the best foster agency for your needs!…