ventless gas fireplaces

4 Safety Reminders About Vent-Free Gas Fireplaces

If you’ve decided to use vent free gas fireplaces, then you should take note of a few different safety measures. The basic concept behind ventless gas fireplaces is that it burns gas in your home. These gases include carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, and carbon monoxide. You need to monitor these gases. Meanwhile, here are four safety reminders when using ventless gas fireplaces.

Other Appliances

How safe are ventless fireplaces in residential areas? That’s a good question because you could be directly burning gas in the open as you turn on your gas range or stove. Although that’s no different from a ventless gas fireplace, knowing your limits is extremely important. Run your ventless fireplace according to the specifications provided by the manufacturer. That should not give you anything to worry about.

Carbon Monoxide and Other Gases

If you have vent free gas fireplaces, then you should beware of carbon monoxide as well as other harmful and notorious gases. Carbon monoxide is the worst because you can’t smell or see it. It causes anything from mild headaches to death. Always check carbon monoxide detectors at home if you have a ventless gas fireplace. Always install one near the fireplace if possible.

Water Vapor Problem

Too much water vapor emitted by your ventless gas fireplace can peel off your wallpaper in your house. It can also change the color of the paint inside. Aside from the structural damage, water vapor may also combine with other gases to worsen respiratory problems of some people in the house. Make sure that water vapor and other harmful gases are present in tolerable quantities.

Safety Measures

Safety issues for all those using ventless gas fireplaces would include improper sizing and installation of the fireplace. Other problems would be improper use that exceeds the specifications and standards set by the manufacturer. The failure of the unit itself can become a hazard too as it can release too much water vapor or carbon monoxide while it burns. Ask professionals about health concerns. Moreover, ask the manufacturer for precautions.

Some Final Words

A vented fireplace may cost more to install. It may not be as energy-efficient as vent free gas fireplaces, but it can be relatively safe for you and the rest of the family. You may be spending a few dollars more on the utility bill. However, the most important thing is that it is safer for your health. Check out https://earthcore.co/product/vent-free/ for professional advice on the matter.