Managing your iPod with Songbird can be accomplished without much difficulty. Just follow this easy to use tutorial.
First things first. If you don’t have iTunes installed then you can skip the iTunes configuration steps.
- Plug in your iPod and open iTunes (if it doesn’t auto-launch). Select your iPod and then choose the Settings tab. Uncheck Open iTunes when this iPod is attached and check the box labeled Enable disk use (per the iPod plugin for Songbird page). Move the slider all the way over so that the maximum amount of “Data” is available. This will erase all of the songs currently on your iPod. Click Apply.
- Exit out of iTunes
- If you don’t already have Songbird installed you can download it from here Get Songbird
- Download the iPod plugin you can download and install it from here.
- When you launch Songbird for the first time, if you’ve previously used your iPod with iTunes, it will ask you if you want to change the library over to Songbird. Click Yes.
- If your iPod is connected you should see it listed in the left pane. You can click on it and set your options. My personal preference is to manually manage songs and playlists.
- Drag some songs from your library to your iPod
Note: If you have iTunes, the next time you open it and your iPod is connected, it will probably ask if you want to erase the new library and sync with iTunes. Click Cancel if you want to continue using Songbird as your iPod manager.
I’ve recently had the pleasure of coming across Songbird. It behaves similar to iTunes and even supports syncing to your iPod without too much trouble you can set it up to be your primary music application.
Better yet Songbird will run on Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems, it has a number of features such as:
Gapless Playback and Replay Gain
Multi Language Support
Some future features will include the following:
Device Support for iPod Touch and Microsoft Zune
Performance and Stability Enhancements
My next posting will be a comprehensive tutorial on how to manage your iPod using Songbird. Until then give it a try. You can download songbird here http://www.getsongbird.com