XBOX 360 Lite-On Firmware Hack
So I went out and bought an XBOX 360 the other day and the first think I did after opening the box of course, is, I took it apart to have a look at the guts. I purchased the Arcade version of the 360 which came with a Lite-On DVD drive, and so the search began.
Being new to the whole XBOX community I had no idea how to go about modding it so that I can play backup’s and the tutorials on the internet are not very descriptive for a new comer. So I found a few sites with some good information and found all the tools I needed after hours of searching.
So now I’d like to give back to the community and write a very simple easy to understand tutorial, as well as providing you with all of the necessary tools and show you how to flash mod the xbox 360 to play copied games. It should be noted that this is an xbox 360 liteon drive mod and wont work for any of the other DVD drives.
This mod is considered a soft mod for the XBOX 360 and will allow you to mod the xbox 360 without a mod chip. This is done by flashing the firmware of your xbox 360 dvd-drive.
- ixtreme_15.rar – Download this file, it has everything we need in it. Thanks to ixtreme we can save ourselves a lot of time.
- A PC with an available SATA port as well as a COM ( DB-9 / Serial ) port.
- TX Probe, Scroll down for a schematic on how to build one, or pay me $20.00 and I’ll send you one.
- Disassemble the XBOX 360 and take out the DVD Drive – Look for a tutorial on YouTube
There are 4 Steps to this tutorial, they are:
- Building The TX Probe ( approximately 30 min. depending on experience )
- Preparing Your XBOX 360 DVD Drive ( approximately 15 min. depending on experience )
- Key Dumping ( approximately 5 min. depending on experience )
- Flashing ( approximately 5 min. depending on experience )
- Disassemble XBOX 360 — 30 min
- Follow My Tutorial — 55 min
- Reassemble XBOX 360 — 20 min
- Playing Any Game You Want — Timeless !!
Building The TX Probe:
For your convenience I have hyperlinked all the parts back to their respective Radio Shack links.
- 1 x 10K Ohm Resistor
- 1 x 1K Ohm Resistor
- 1 x NPN Transistor (2N2222)
- 1 x Female DB-9 Connector
- 1 x Male Molex Connector
- 1 x Probe, from a multimeter would be fine.
Optional ( To Make It Look Nice ):
- PC Board
(All of these parts should be readily available at Radio Shack)
Note: Don’t want to build one yourself ? or can’t seem to do it right ? Purchase one from me. I’m selling them for $40.00 each.
Click The Button to add it to the cart [wp_eStore:product_id:5:end]
Preparing The XBOX 360 DVD Drive:
Before we can do anything else we need to make sure that the XBOX 360′s DVD drive is half open. To do this push the eject button on the XBOX and after the drive is fully open remove the connection cable from the back of the drive and then push the tray until it is half open. DO NOT RECONNECT THE CABLE YET.
Before we reconnect the cable we need to remove pin 3. This pin controls the opening / closing of the tray. With this pin removed the XBOX will not be able to eject or close the drive tray.
Now that we have the DVD drive set the way we want we can move on to the next step.
Connect your XBOX 360′s DVD drive via the SATA cable to your computers SATA port and power on your drive. If you are powering your drive from the XBOX 360, then make sure that you removed Pin 3 from the connection cable before turning the 360 on.
Assuming that you’ve already downloaded ixtreme_1.5.rar we can move right along and open up jungleflasher.exe which you can find in the JungleFlasher .26 BETA folder within the folder that has the extracted contents of ixtreme_1.5.rar
- Go to the DVDKey32 tab and go through the I/O ports until you see the info for your liteon drive under drive properties.
- Make sure your drive is ejected and pushed in half way. Select your COM port, connect your TX Probe and probe to the Tx (R707) point while pressing the Get Key Button.
- Save all the files to a folder
Note: If you get an error saying your hardware isn’t working. check over the adapter make sure everything is correct. try testing it with a multimeter. If all else fails, you may need to buy/build a “proper” max232/max3232 adapter.
If the above step worked, dump the key another two times just to be sure you get the same key! and SAVE ALL THE BIN FILES TO A DISK OR USB STICK – THIS IS YOUR BACKUP LIFELINE.
- Go to the FirmwareTool32 tab and click Load From Dump Files.
- Select the files you saved previously, and chose where to save the dummy.bin
- Click Open Target Firmware and select ix15-liteon.bin which you extracted from ixtreme_1.5.rar. It should show YOUR KEY in the box
- Press Spoof Source to Target and save your CFW.bin
You should now have the keys dumped, and your new firmware spoofed. We can now proceed to the next and final step.
Now that we have everything prepared, we can flash the firmware of the DVD drive. Up until now we have not modified anything on the DVD drive. If you want you can put your XBOX 360 back together right now and it will still work.
Although its almost impossible to brick your drive with this method, there’s still that 1% chance that something can go wrong. Please know that I am not responsible for what happens to your 360. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself then scroll down to the bottom and read my instructions for sending me your XBOX 360 so that I can do the mod for you.
- Turn your DVD drive off and then back on, then go to the MTK Flash 32 tab. select the sata port which displays the info for your liteon.
- Press Lite-On-Erase.
- Once you see the “…” quickly turn your drive off and back on.
- When that’s finished it should display xx72 and some flash information. this means your drive is ready to be flashed!
- Click the Write button. It should flash and verify all 4 sectors. if all goes well you are done!
Hopefully just as with my other tutorials, you have enjoyed this one or at least found it useful or helpful. Well as always if I left something out or there’s something I could simplify then leave me a comment and I’d be happy to edit the tutorial.
Purchase TX Probe:
$40.00 is all it will cost you, the TX Probe is required for Flashing Lite-On DVD drives since the drives keys need to be dumped and spoofed.
Just click the Add To Cart Button and checkout. [wp_eStore:product_id:5:end]
Purchase XBOX 360 Mod:
$50.00 Flat Fee To Mod ANY Version of the XBOX 360
Price Includes, MODDING of 360′s DVD Drive, CD containing your DVD Drives Orginal Firmware, Key, Identify and Inquiry .bin files, and one (1) backup game of your choice!
NOTE: Your Xbox360 will have to be opened to apply the hack which WILL VOID your Warranty if you have one, or you can take the Warranty sticker off under the faceplate (some are small and silver, others are a big white/green square)
I offer no compensation or guarantee for you voiding your warranty while trying to take it off, by getting me to mod your console you accept that your warranty(If still valid and not removed) WILL BE VOIDED!
How To Order:
Leave me a comment with your e-mail address and I’ll send you a payment link with a ship to address and instructions.
XBOX 360 Modding FAQ:
Q: Can my 360 be flashed back to its original unmodded state?
A: YES! When you get your 360 flashed by me, I will give you a CD which contains the DVD drives original Firmware for that very reason! Please keep the CD safe and don’t lose it.
Q: Do you offer a guarantee or replace my 360 if you break it?
A: No I offer no guarantee, but if your 360 gets messed up while flashing, I will replace it free of charge.
Q: Once my xbox 360 is modded, is there any way I can accidentally brick, break or ruin my xbox 360 or the MOD(or hack) will mess up or ruin my xbox 360?
A: NO. The MOD (or hack) is applied to the DVD drive itself, nothing inside the 360(Mainboard, CPU, GPU, etc) is touched. The MOD is a “Firmware” hack and its physically impossible for it to ruin/brick/mess up your Xbox 360.
Q: Can I play on Xbox LIVE without getting banned?
A: YES! The latest hacked firmware (iXtreme 1.51) offers excellent protection from getting banned from Xbox LIVE. There is always a risk of getting banned, but the chances are very low. You can safely play Wave 3 games now without worry of being banned! There is always a risk of getting banned, but the chances are very low. You can only be banned from playing an improperly burned game or someone who is inexperienced and flashed your xbox wrong.
Q: Do you offer compensation if I get banned from Xbox LIVE?
A: NO. I offer no guarantee/compensation of ANY kind if you get banned from XB LIVE.
Q: Is this LEGAL?
A: YES. Having backups of games is LEGAL if you own the original copy. See legal Disclaimer below…
Copying or downloading games that you have not legally purchased or own is illegal in all countries. This violates not only laws in your own country, but international copyright laws as well. The purpose of the firmware hack is for making backup copies of games that you legally own. Software piracy is illegal carries a huge penalty if convicted, is ethically wrong, and hurts the game companies. Support the game developers by purchasing the games you play. You wouldn’t work for free would you? I am offering a SERVICE to those who cannot make backups of the games they legally own. I am not charging money for the game, but for materials, wear and tear on our dvd burners and for making the backup. Chris Fletcher is not affiliated with ANY of the companies, Microsoft, Xbox 360 or any others.
- XBox 360 Wave 4 Firmware Mod
- Xbox 360 Banned from Xbox Live
- Wave 4 to Wave 3 Tutorial & Software Mac & Windows
- Backup and Burn Wii Games on a Mac
- How To: Jailbreak Your PS3 with an iPhone 2G on a Mac