iPhone vs. iPod Touch vs. iPad
When Apple introduced the iPhone and the iPod Touch it changed the way we use the mobile phone and listen to music. When Apple introduced the iPad we were given another great device for listening to music and browsing the web as well as keeping us entertained with the thousands of applications that are available from the Apple App Store.
This post is aimed at comparing the iPhone, iPod Touch and the new iPad. I will be highlighting the features of each device and hopefully help someone make an educated decision as to which device to purchase. Of course there is nothing wrong with owning all 3 of them
What do you need?
- A Phone – Get an iPhone
- Want to listen to music – Get an iPod Touch
- Want to read books / listen to music / more power – Get an iPad
Only an iPhone can make phone calls. The iPod Touch and the iPad both have speakers but no microphone so even using the Skype app, you will not be able to make phone calls using either of these devices.
Wanna get an iPhone?
Since the release of the iPhone we have seen many variations of the original. The current models are:
- iPhone 2G (The original)
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
If you don’t own an iPhone and you sign up for a new AT&T contract you will get the iPhone 4. The 16 GB model will set you back about $199.00 with the 32 GB model at $299.00 and at the time of this post you should still be able to get the 3GS 8 GB model for $99.00 (don’t get it unless you are strapped for cash and really really want an iPhone)
If you don’t want to get a contract with AT&T but still want an iPhone you should check eBay, craigslist, etc… You can get an iPhone 2G from eBay for about $120.00 and it will run up to version 3.1.3 and can be jail broken. If you want to get something better for a little more cash I recommend going with the 3GS as it has more capable hardware and can run the latest iOS 4 which supports multi-tasking.
However, if you like to tinker, you can get a 3G and jail break it and then run a modified version of iOS 4 which will allow you to enable multi tasking on your 3G iPhone.
So what are the major differences between the iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS and 4?
- iPhone 2G – 2 Megapixels / Rear Only / No Flash
- iPhone 3G – 2 Megapixels / Rear Only / No Flash
- iPhone 3GS – 3 Megapixels / Rear Only / No Flash
- iPhone 4 – 5 Megapixels Rear / .3 Megapixels Front / LED Flash
Talk / Standby Time:
- iPhone 2G – 2G 8 Hours Talk / 250 Hours Standby
- iPhone 3G – 2G 10 Hours Talk, 3G 5 Hours Talk / 300 Hours Standby
- iPhone 3GS – 2G 10 Hours Talk, 3G 5 Hours Talk / 300 Hours Standby
- iPhone 4 – 2G 14 Hours Talk, 3G 7 Hours Talk / 300 Hours Standby
Display Size / Resolution:
- iPhone 2G – 3.5 inch / 320 x 480
- iPhone 3G – 3.5 inch / 320 x 480
- iPhone 3GS – 3.5 inch / 320 x 480
- iPhone 4 – 3.5 inch / 960 x 640
Size Height / Width / Depth:
Note: Without being to specific all 4 versions have a height of 4.5 inches and a width of 2.4 inches. The depth however is slightly different
- iPhone 2G – .46 inch depth
- iPhone 3G – .48 inch depth
- iPhone 3GS – .48 inch depth
- iPhone 4 – .37 inch depth
One thing to note is that the iPhone 4 is superior in every way when comparing its earlier models. If you have the cash then you should go for it.
There are a few things to consider when deciding which device you should ultimately purchase. If you are strapped for cash and can only afford to purchase one of the 3 devices then think about what your needs are. If you really need a phone then you have to go with the iPhone but if all you want to do is listen to music, browse the web and enjoy all of the available iPod Touch apps from the app store then get an iPod touch.
If you need a device with a fairly decent sized screen and a high resolution that will make web browsing fun and reading documents online easy as well as allow you to send and receive e-mail either via wi-fi or 3G then the iPad is for you. Utilizing the new 1GHz Apple A4 processor makes the iPad a powerful mobile device that is perfect for people who have an on the go type of lifestyle.
If anyone has any questions or anything to add that I may have missed then please leave a comment…
- Google Releases Latitude for iPhone
- New App – Kid Tunes
- Sprint Gets Ready To Release The Palm Pre
- New Apps – Empoc
- Apple + Nike = Awesomeness