In Part 3 of the Easy PHP Guestbook tutorial we will cover creating the user submission form for our guestbook.
Create a new file and call it guestbookform.php and put the following code in it:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd”>
<meta http-equiv=”Content-Type” content=”text/html; charset=UTF8″ />
<form action=”” method=”post”>
<input type=”text” name=”guestbookname” id=”guestbookname” />
<input type=”text” name=”guestbookwebsite” id=”guestbookwebsite” />
<textarea name=”guestbookentry” id=”guestbookentry” cols=”45″ rows=”5″></textarea>
<input type=”submit” name=”submit” id=”submit” value=”Submit” />
Save the file and upload it to your guestbook folder that you created on the server from the previous tutorial. You can point your browser to http://yourservername.com/guestbook/guestbookform.php
You should see the form with a spot to write a name, website and an entry, as well as a submit button. This file as it is now will not perform any functions, in part 4 we will cover how to take the values that a user would fill in and store them in the database.
This concludes Part 3 of the tutorial.
In this part of the tutorial I will cover briefly how to setup a new database and create the php file that will have the database connection strings.
First things first, create a new database and name it guestbook, assign a new user to this database name the new user guestbook, assign a password for this user 12345 will work for now.
Creating databases and assigning users will not be covered in this tutorial, this should be covered in a help file provided by your hosting company.
Once your database has been created and a user has been added you will need to setup the tables that will store each guestbook entry.
For starters lets create a table and call it guestbookentries
You will need 5 columns in this table:
- guestbookentryid – Set this column as the primary key and set it to auto increment, the type will be BIGINT
- name – The type will be TEXT
- date – The type will be DATETIME
- website – The type will be TEXT
- entry – The type will be TEXT
I suggest using phpmyadmin to setup this table in the database, if you don’t feel up to creating this table you can download this file guestbookentries.sql
You can import that file using phpmyadmin and it will create the table for you.
Once the table has been created you need to create a new file and name it sqlcon.php and place the following code into this file.
//This line of code connects to the mysql server
//This line of code selects the correct database
@mysql_select_db($database) or die (“Unable to select database”);
Upload this file to a new folder on your server, create a folder called guestbook on your servers root and upload the sqlcon.php file to there.
You can point your browser to this file http://yourservername.com/guestbook/sqlcon.php
If the page comes up blank then everything is working as it should, if it comes up with an error then you’ve made a mistake somewhere. I’d be happy to help troubleshoot any problems you are having up to this point.
This concludes Part 2 of the tutorial
Just thought I would share some of my php knowledge with the rest of the world and cover a much asked about topic with a simple step by step tutorial.
This tutorial will be divided into parts starting with how to check and ensure that your server meets the minimum requirements to host a guestbook.
To start with you should make sure that you have a host that supports php as well as mysql.
Here’s a quick way you can check if your server supports php and mysql
Create a new file and call it phpinfo.php and place the following code in it.
Upload this file to your servers root folder and point your browser to it, so for example if I uploaded this file into my servers root folder I would point my browser to the following.
First, if your server supports php, then it will run this file and output information related to your php configuration, search for mysql on this page, if its there then the server supports it.
This concludes Part 1 of the tutorial.
I recently came across a site advertising an easy way to unlock your iPhone to work with other carriers that use sim cards. The site is http://www.unlockanyiphone.net
This company has come up with an easy plug and play solution. Basically they sell you a modified sim card that your sim card connects to. Think of it as a mod chip for your iPhone, it couldn’t get any easier, and as for the price, $37.95. I think its a small price to pay to be able to use your iPhone with other services.
Below are some of the features:
- Full Unlock, Use your iPhone on ANY Network. Worldwide!
- Safe iPhone Unlock: No warranty void, Fully reversible!
- No knowledge required, Easy Plug and Play Solution!
- Works on any iPhone, Version 2.2.1 Included!
- No Signal Loss – like other Unlocks Available!
- Lifetime Updates and Unlimited Support!
- ALL Functions on your iPhone Working!
- Enable SMS/MMS & Instant Messengers!
- Access to 1000′s of Free iPhone Applications!
- Satisfaction GUARANTEED!
If you want a free way to do it, I found a great article at PCWorld that should help you accomplish this. Here is the link
As a computer technician I have had a lot of people bring in virus and spyware infected PC’s and they all seem to have 1 thing in common… Limewire.
Here is the deal with Limewire, it is a free P2P sharing program, what this means is that everyone in the world that has music, movies, games, etc… on their home computer can use Limewire to share their files with the rest of the world. In a perfect world this should be safe, but there are lots of people out there that infect files that they are sharing with viruses and spyware. So Limewire is just not safe, furthermore, most ISP’s are now monitoring the ports that these P2P programs are running on, so if you are sharing something that is copyrighted then you could be banned from your ISP.
Doesn’t sound like its worth all the hassle to me, thankfully there is an alternative and its not torrents. Let’s talk about binary newsgroups. I will share with you the tools and websites you can use to successfully download just about anything from movies to songs to games, etc…
The way downloading from binary newsgroups works is this:
- You need three things, a site to search for files, a server to download from and a newsreader that can open NZB files. Most if not all of these things cost money but you shouldn’t have to spend more then $20.00 / month to obtain everything needed to keep you downloading safe and not to mention fast.
There are 2 websites that you will need to sign up with in order to make this happen. They are listed below:
http://v3.newzbin.com – To search for binary files ( movies, music, shows, etc… )
- Unfortunately at the time of this writing you can only sign up for an account with newzbin if you receive an invitation from another member. You are more then welcome to send me e-mails and / or comments and I will give out invitations at my discretion as they become available to me.
http://www.newsdemon.com – You will need to signup for this site.
- Pricing at the time of this writing is $17.99 / month for unlimited downloads.
You will also need some sort of newsreader. Here are a few
- http://www.panic.com/unison – This is a newsreader for Mac, they offer a trial download and after that expires you have to purchase the full version for $24.95. Here’s a quick tip, download unison, then go to newzbin and do a search for Unison
- http://www.shemes.com – This is a newsreader for Windows, they advertise it as free. I haven’t tried it much since I have a Mac but it looks very simple to use.
Managing your iPod with Songbird can be accomplished without much difficulty. Just follow this easy to use tutorial.
First things first. If you don’t have iTunes installed then you can skip the iTunes configuration steps.
- Plug in your iPod and open iTunes (if it doesn’t auto-launch). Select your iPod and then choose the Settings tab. Uncheck Open iTunes when this iPod is attached and check the box labeled Enable disk use (per the iPod plugin for Songbird page). Move the slider all the way over so that the maximum amount of “Data” is available. This will erase all of the songs currently on your iPod. Click Apply.
- Exit out of iTunes
- If you don’t already have Songbird installed you can download it from here Get Songbird
- Download the iPod plugin you can download and install it from here.
- When you launch Songbird for the first time, if you’ve previously used your iPod with iTunes, it will ask you if you want to change the library over to Songbird. Click Yes.
- If your iPod is connected you should see it listed in the left pane. You can click on it and set your options. My personal preference is to manually manage songs and playlists.
- Drag some songs from your library to your iPod
Note: If you have iTunes, the next time you open it and your iPod is connected, it will probably ask if you want to erase the new library and sync with iTunes. Click Cancel if you want to continue using Songbird as your iPod manager.
I’ve recently had the pleasure of coming across Songbird. It behaves similar to iTunes and even supports syncing to your iPod without too much trouble you can set it up to be your primary music application.
Better yet Songbird will run on Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems, it has a number of features such as:
Gapless Playback and Replay Gain
Multi Language Support
Some future features will include the following:
Device Support for iPod Touch and Microsoft Zune
Performance and Stability Enhancements
My next posting will be a comprehensive tutorial on how to manage your iPod using Songbird. Until then give it a try. You can download songbird here http://www.getsongbird.com
In a recent C-NET article
Microsoft on Tuesday notified more than 3,000 workers that it was eliminating their jobs.
The software maker said in January that it would cut up to 5,000 jobs over the next 18 months. It made 1,400 cuts at the time. With the second wave of notifications on Tuesday, Microsoft has cut nearly all 5,000 jobs already.
Although it didn’t announce further layoffs, the fact that the company has already made nearly all the reductions under the January plan means further job actions will have to come under a new round of cuts. In a memo to Microsoft workers, CEO Steve Ballmer left the door open to further action.
5000 jobs ? are you kidding me ? I understand the economic crisis but instead of laying people off why not give them a choice for a lower salary ? Maybe if Microsoft would lower some of their prices, they would increase their sales. I just think its pathetic for a multi billion dollar company to lay off this many people.
“As we move forward, we will continue to closely monitor the impact of the economic downturn on the company and if necessary, take further actions on our cost structure including additional job eliminations,” Ballmer said in the memo, which was seen by CNET News.
While the positions cut in January were more U.S.-centered, the cuts announced Tuesday were split roughly evenly between U.S. and international workers. The cuts were across the company in terms of job type.
And why so many international workers ? Can’t we keep jobs for US companies here in the US. It really upsets me that when a company the size of Microsoft outsources so many jobs to other countries when our country’s citizens are hurting to find jobs.
“As part of the plan we announced in January to reduce costs and increase efficiencies, today we are eliminating additional positions across several areas of the company,” Microsoft said in a public statement confirming the cuts. “While job eliminations are always difficult, we are taking these necessary actions in response to the global economic downturn.”
The company still plans to hire 2,000 to 3,000 workers this year in some growing areas of focus, including its online services business.
This last statement just tops off my anger how can they justify laying off 5000 employees and then hiring 2,000 to 3,000 more. Why not offer these new jobs to the 5000 or so employees being laid off. I may be speaking completely out of line here since I don’t know Microsoft’s internal processes but I would hope that Microsoft is doing everything possible to help out their employees.
Would love to hear some comments on this.
Have you ever stressed out about all those duplicate songs on your iPod. I know I have and I’ve recently done some research to help remedy the problem. I found a great free tool for Mac’s that removes duplicates from your iPod and also allows you to copy songs from your iPod back to your Mac.
You can download the program here: YamiPod
Download the software, mount the DMG and the copy YamiPod to your Applications folder. Run the YamiPod Application if your iPod is disconnected you will get the following prompt
Connect your iPod and you will be prompted with the following screen
Select your iPod and type in your FWID also known as the serial number. You can find this ID by following theses steps.
- From the apple menu ( top left of screen ) select About this Mac and click More Info
- In the left column select Hardware and then USB
- In the USB Device Tree you should see your iPod listed, select it
- The FWID is the Serial Number listed in the lower box
Once you enter in the FWID and click OK you may be presented with the following warning
Ignore it, click on Continue, at this point you should have a window with a list of all the songs on your iPod.
To remove duplicates follow these steps
- Tools -> Advanced -> Remove Duplicates
- By default everything being compared will be checked, you can uncheck anything that you don’t want YamiPod to compare, I usually leave defaults.
- Click OK
- If any duplicates are found it will show you which ones it found and give you the option to remove them
To copy songs from your iPod to your Mac follow these steps
- You’ve got several options here, you can copy all the songs from your iPod, a particular album, a particular artist, or a single song.
- In the top left pane you’ll see your artists, select one and it will show you all songs by that artist in the bottom pane, you can Right Click ( Control-Click ) on a song to save a single song or you can Select all and then right click again and click Copy Song To, this applies for any of the configurations in step 1.
- After clicking on Copy Song To, you will be presented with a window with options. Leave the defaults then click on Destination, a window will pop-up that will ask you where you want to copy the songs to.
- Select your destination and click copy.
This software has many other useful features, have fun exploring. Hopefully this tutorial was helpful.
Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one.
The Pentium D, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo and Athlon X2 are all current CPUs that have dual cores in one package. The Pentium D is simply two Pentium 4 Prescott cpus inefficiently paired together and ran as dual core.
The Core Duo is Intel’s first generation dual core processor based upon the Pentium M (a Pentium III-4 hybrid) made mostly for laptops (though a few motherboard manufacturers have released desktop boards supporting the Core Duo CPU), and is much more efficiently than Pentium D.
The Core 2 Duo is Intel’s second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.
Note – Intel has dropped the Pentium name in favor of the Core architecture as Intel is restructuring and refocusing it’s efforts to become number one again.